Friday, June 2, 2017

Bear Bait

I love reading other missionary's group emails. I am so grateful for so many of my friends who are out laboring in the field, the same field I, at times, have to remind myself that I am working in. This past week a scripture from one of my friend's group emails struck me. I read and it unknowingly memorized the reference and then during personal study was led back to it randomly and ended up having a sweet experience with it. The scripture is Jeremiah 16:16:
Many if not most know that the Hall fam is a family of hunters. Because of this I have spent time growing up partially in the woods, marsh, field, and lake and pond. I have learned a lot by spending time in God's creations and am amazed at the parallels you can draw in nature. Last year one of the latest hunts my family has gone on and gained an interest in is bear hunting. That season has rolled around once more and as such my dad has begun sending me pictures of the bait site, trail cams pics, and updates. In fact I am 99% sure that as of right now they are in the woods sitting at a bait site up in a tree stand waiting and wishing and probably praying for a big ol' bear to show up. Ah it makes me smile thinking about it! BUT I have been thinking a lot about hunting... bear hunting specifically... and how it relates to missionary work, because it does... and drawing on my limited knowledge and experience I want to try to explain how.
To start you have to understand bear bait, from what I understand in Tennessee the rules for Bear hunting are different from Utah or I guess I should say Idaho because that is where they go and where I've gone (an entire one time, but as you'll hopefully see that one time made an impact) but anyway you can't sit on baits here in Tennessee for this analogy I am going to use Idaho's regulations, and still apply them to my experiences in Tennessee.

Ok so from what I understand my neighbor (that got my dad into bear hunting) prepares for this hunt for MONTHS. He gathers supplies, scouts out areas, designates spots for the bait, and counts down days until the hunt is on! Then a couple weeks before the season starts he loads in his trailer hundreds of pounds of extra baked goods from his work. We're talking doughnuts, gallon buckets of frosting, cookies, cake, lard, rolls, muffins, cupcakes, turnovers, you name it... trash bags full of this stuff!!! They haul it up the mountain to the designated spot and there they build a bear bait. They heap this stuff into a massive pile, and camouflage it behind branches. They pour molasses, honey, and sugary scents all over it, because that is the most critical part. The scent is what brings the bears in. When that sweet scent catches the wind, they will come, they will follow, they will eat. But it has to catch the wind. Sometimes he will even hang a "stink bag" in the trees which is basically disgusting rotten guts and fish and horrid smelling stuff in a bag that when it catches the wind will get the attention of the bears and they will come. When bears catch that scent they will walk from miles to come to find and eat whatever it is. When that scent catches the air... they will come. So hunters set up baits, oh and when they do so they have to have a tag designating that it is lawful to be there and it is offical. So yeah they set up baits and trail cameras and head for home to wait in anticipation. During the time they are away the bait remains the scent travels bears come and the motion sensor trail cams capture pictures of activity at the bait. Often times bears will come in, eat a little, and then leave, sometimes they continue to come back. Some they only see one time. But the fact of the matter is they all know where the bait pile is, and anytime they want to come back they can catch that scent and follow it back. Then after the weeks go by the hunters gear up, they wake up dark and early in the morning, they go to the designated spot, that they've prepared, they know where the bait is and they know there are bears in those woods around. Is it scary at times to be walking in the dark woods knowing you are in bear country? Oh yes! But they've got protection, adrenaline, and excitement for the hunt. And yes their gun is a comfort as well. But they're willing to hike, to proceed slowly at times to not scare anything away, to be aware of their surroundings, and to climb the tree and be patient. Ahh that patience part is hard! They can sit in a tree stand for hours and hours day after day and never see a bear. Yet they look at the trail cams and know bears have been ther. They look at the bait pile and can see they have been there, they can see their tracks in the surrounding area... the bears know where the bait is. But the timing isn't quite right yet, they've tasted the sweetness of the pile of bait they know it's there but hunters have to be patient. They have to keep tracking and trying back. I would say there are three absolutely key parts to eventual success in bear hunting: preparation, wind, and patience. And yes a gun of course but those three things: preparation, wind, and patience are critical. Preparation and work to build the bait, designate the spot, put forth the effort, create an appeal, bring in what is sweet. The wind is what carries scent, it is necessary to get attention and to bring them in. Patience is required throughout but especially after the work has been done and the time is to wait, wait and see what happens. Because they are in bear country, they are there, and they will come, eventually. Do all the bears in the area come, nope! But some do, and the ones that continue to  back are the most promising...

Alright after all that you're probably like where in the heck is she going with this?! This is outrageous! Maybe it is, but this hit me hard and I love it, I shared it with Hermana Jacobson and I was so pumped up about it. Phewf ok gospel application time:

Missionaries prepare for their missions for MONTHS! They gather supplies and submit papers, prophets and apostles scout out areas and designate where the missionary goes. When the missionary arrives in the field their mission president designates specifically where he/she will serve. The missionary counts down days until their mission begins. A couple weeks beforre they arrive in the field they prepare and gather skills and supplies in the MTC. They get out to the field and the work begins. They have tasted the sweetness of the gospel and want to share it with others. They work to build the sweet kingdom and to bring others to it. At times the sweetness is camouflaged by things of the world but that doesn't change that it is there. Their job is to share that sweetness with others. They strive to build the kingdom but also pour sweetness around them and into their lives so that the spirit can touch them and be carried to others. Because the spirit is the most critical part of the work. Russell M. Nelson once said that being open to missionary work and feeling that spirit is like "catching a wave" you might also say it's like catching a scent. When people catch the scent, when they feel that spirit and experience a small part of the sweetness, they have a desire to come, they will follow, and they will eat. But they have to feel the spirit. Sometimes people are led to the sweetness of the kingdom because something really gross, and yucky happens in their life, it causes them to be humble but also puts them on a search for something sweet. For some the journey into the kingdom is long, they come long distances, geographically but also spiritually. But when they feel that spirit or catch that scent they come. So the missionaries are working hard to build this kingdom, oh and while they are doing so they wear a tag showing that it is lawful for them to be there and offical. So yes each day they strive to build up the kingdom then they return home, they have records which shows the progress of the kingdom. Some people come and partake of some of the sweetness of the gospel, they listen and participate in a few lessons, attend church, start reading the Book of Mormon, and praying. Then sometimes they leave. Some keep coming back for more. Some, missionaries only see one time. But the fact of the matter is, that they all know where the kingdom is, and anytime they want to come back they just need to catch that scent and follow that spirit, because God will provide a way for them to come back. So after time passes missionaries are continually preparing and gearing up, they wake up dark and early and head out to their designated areas that have been both prepared for them and they have helped prepare by their work and efforts. They know where the kingdom is and they know there are people around that want to come be apart and taste of the sweetness. Is it scary at times, does it feel they feel they are walking in the dark in a country or area different from anything they've ever known? Oh yes! But they've got protection, adrenaline and excitement for the work. And they've got prayer as a comfort as well. But they're willing to work, to walk, hike, bike, to proceed slowly at times to not scare anyone away, and to be aware of their areas and the world around them. They are willing to climb up hills and mountains and go through hard things and be patient. Ahh that patience is hard!!! They can work for hours and hours day after day and never have lessons with people. Yet they look at the record books and they know there are people there. They can look at the kingdom and see that people have been to it they can examine the area see the tracks and hear stories about people. They know people know about the church. But the timing isn't quite right yet. The people have partaken of the sweetness, they know it's there, the missionaries just need to be patient. They have to keep tracting and trying back. I would say there are absolutely three key parts to missionary work: preparation, the spirit, and patience. And yes prayer of course but those three things: preparation, the spirit, and patience are critical. Preparation in building the kingdom, and building themselves, designating areas, putting forth effort, creating an appeal, bringing what is sweet. The spirit is what carries the message of sweetness it gets attention and brings people in. Patience is required throughout, but especially after the work is done, when the time is to wait and see what happens. Because they are in fields that are white ready to harvest, there are people out there and they will come, eventually. Will all the people in the area come? Nope! But some do, and the ones that continue to come back are the most promising...


Isn't this cool?!?! I hope y'all are as pumped reading this as I am writing it!!!!
This has been something that has been on my mind all week long. I have been thinking it over again and again and bouncing ideas back and forth with Hermana Jacobson, it's hit me so hard. I'm out here building the bait, trying to live so that people can catch the wind feel the spirit and want to come. But I've got to work, I've got to build, I've got a want it, and I've got to BEAR it!!!! This week has been difficult to bear at times but there have also been some sweet moments. As if this letter isn't long enough I want to share two experiences real quick with y'all. I've realized that I don't really send group emails home... I send home TALKS. Of the many things the South and Tennessee has taught me I guess it has taught me how to preach, so thanks for letting me run my mouth and type up these novels, and thanks for reading them, even if no one ever did I would still send them because they help me. They help me evaluate my week and seek to do better. So thanks be to y'all again for tolerating great lengths, love y'all.


But ok like I said this week was a bit of a rough one. We had a less active text us and essentially say we are wasting our time reaching out to them, we also had an investigator drop us over text. Once again nearly everything in our plans and schedules fell through, there was this one day, ah man... I was just DONE. I'll admit I said one of those angry prayers one of  whiney prayers: "Heavenly Father I'm still in Rockwood and I'm frustrated with myself because I'm starting to count down the days until transfers until I can leave it and go somewhere new. Heavenly Father why did you leave me in this area? I'm sick of it. I realize others have been in areas longer, I realize others have been in Rockwood longer, but I don't want to be here, I'm not going to go sit home and mope I'm going to keep working but I want you to know I am not loving it right now..." ugh rereading that makes me sound so whiney, but Heavenly Father puts up with me, thank goodness. So after that (that was a car prayer while driving by the way) after that not even two minutes probably my comp is looking out the window and says see that lady right there setting up a yardsale? Let's go talk to her. So I made a u-turn kept my prayer promise and kept working. Did my attitude change and I was back to loving Rockwood and wanting to stay there the rest of my mission??? HECK NO! I stood for 40 minutes listening to an elderly woman talk about her health problems, family hardship, and all the "pedophiles in town..." However... was my heart a bit softened at the fact that she trusted two random 19 year old girls in skirts with tags on to share her life story with? HEAVENS YES! She caught the scent, she felt some of the spirit, enough to trust us, enough to want to talk to us. Who knows? She might even come back to taste the sweetness!

 Speaking of sweet the other experience I want to share is with the Sister in the ward who I've been to her house several times, spoken with her several times, but always through the wall... remember her? Well two weeks ago it occurred to me during weekly planning that she has a phone number, and that we should call it. We did and talked to her for over 20 minutes. Her mother and nephew passed away about a month ago. Within the same week. We were able to share scriptures with her and pray with her over the phone. She mentioned she wanted to meet with us in person some time... This past week we stopped by, instead of  normal conversation "who is it?!" "Sister missionaries" "WHO?!" "SISTER MISSIONARIES" she remembered our phone call, she apologized because she was just getting out of the shower so she couldn't meet with us then, but wanted to, and she asked us to pray with her, through the wall. So we did, Jacobson offered the sweetest half yelling prayer I've ever heard. We stuck our card in the door and she said she wanted to call and set up a time for us to come back, and meet with her in person. It's moments like that, experiences like that where I realize I'm still here for specific reasons, to have specific experiences. I'm sitting at this bait site learning patience. And having sweet experiences all the time.


Sometimes it is easy to get frustrated at never having a bear come in, especially when you know they're around. Sometimes I need to be more content and more accepting that I'm adding to the bait pile, tossing in some doughnuts, spreading some frosting, and adding " a little more light" to people's day. In preach my gospel there is no standard for a successful mission, there instead is a standard for a successful missionary, and it is measured by commitment. Some days I'm more committed than others but I'm still heading out still working on patience still seeking to prepare and have the spirit with and around me.
My grandma once told me: "A mission is for the missonary"
I didn’t like that, I thought it sounded selfish, I'm learning daily that it's not selfish and that it's actually very true. No matter what happens as a result of my mission it will be worth it. That's what happens at the end of every hunting season, whatever the end result may be I never regret it. I won't regret my mission either. I won't regret the lessons of learned, people I've met, I won't regret wearing my tag  (even if I forget to wear it to church... rookie mistake) I won't regret the relationship I've developed with my Older Brother Jesus Christ and the one I've strengthened with my Heavenly Father. I won't regret the hardship I've had to bear and the sweetness I've experienced.
We met a guy yesterday that said he wouldn't trade one bad time for another  good one because you gotta have the bad to understand the good.
Opposition in all things right?
I hope y'all know I love you and am so grateful for you! I hope you've been pricked in your hearts and that this has made sense. There are so many connections to be made and parallels to be drawn with this, when you see more email me and tell me about them, I promise I'd love to hear from yooouroou!
Love you and have a blessed week!
Love,
Hermana Hall
PS I FINALLY SAW LIGHTNING BUGS EEEEEE!!!! IT WAS SO EXCITING!!!!
PPS DID Y'ALL KNOW DAVID ARCHULETA IS ENGAGED?! AND I'M NOT WEARING A RING! HAHA! BUT SERIOUSLY SOMEBODY PLEASE SEND ME A PIC OF THE FIANCEE!!!

"Sister" Sandra Dee???



No comments:

Post a Comment