Tuesday, April 24, 2018

" I Might Have Put My Sickle Away"


Oh the response of a member as we talked about ministering and missionary work. We had a lovely dinner of quinoa, sweet potato, spinach salad with black bean soup at the house of this cute member family in our ward (whose house could be on a renovation show for HGTV), I was in heaven there. And I was so amazed that their 11 year old and 15 year old would eat the food that was served! Heaven knows the looks of disgust that would have been on my and Bridger's faces if my mom had served somethinng like that when we were those same ages. Funny how things change though because it was so delish! Anyway back to the conversation at hand, the mom of the family had made a comment about how she could see how going on missions before we made any other major life decisions would be an advantage and expressed that she wished she could have gone on one. She then looked at her husband and said "but there are always couple missions right?" Sister Horman piped up and quoted the verse "if ye have desires to serve God you are called to the work!" To which the husband responded, "hmm I might've put my sickle away I might have to go dig it out of the shed out back..." haha! It was so funny! But of course got me thinking... about how we do sometimes toss our sickle in the shed and go about our lives. I think that the emphasis on ministering that we are seeing in the church is an invitation to pull out our sickles and go to work. The fields are white all ready to harvest. What does that mean? There are people to be found and to bundle together to bring into the fold and the garners into the restored gospel. Whether it's a new convert, a wayward family member, a returning less active. There our people that need us to put in the work, to serve and thrust in our sickles.

This email is getting out late because our pday was a little thrown off because we were with a recent convert helping her non member next door neighbor move her furniture into a u haul. We had a good time getting to know her family members and after we were through we gave them each a Book of Mormon with verses marked that we felt like applied to them based on what we had learned about them. And they each accepted them. I know without a doubt in my mind that if we had knocked on their doors and offered them a book of Mormon they would have politely declined but because we had worked with them and served them they trusted us. They saw us as people not door to door salesmen and they were more receptive to what we had to say. It was service that softened their hearts. Think about Christ, think about how He taught, He served then taught. Ammon, one of the greatest missionaries of all time... wanted to be the kings servant before he tried to teach him he served him.

This past week we were able to give a training in a mission leadership meeting. It was on the value of power ups/exchanges and ministering to individual companionships. (As I give details think about the way it applies to ministering And your own ministries, whether in the church or in your family or friend group or mission or whatever) We lead a discussion and asked the missionaries why it was important that we spend time ministering to other missionaries by going on power ups and exchanges (review for those who don't have any idea what I'm talking about when I say power up... it's when both companionships go into another area and work with another set of missionaries and help them "power up" their area, and empower them as well, exchanges are where two companionships swap companions for the day:). Anyway... They came to the conclusion that the purpose is to help them and teach them. Empower them. We asked them to ponder a really good powerup or exchange they had had as well as a not so good one. One elder talked about how they only drove 5 miles in total because they talked for nearly 4 hours. The elder he was with was struggling and ready to go home... that same elder is still out. Another elder shared how he felt that power ups and exchanges allow you to become friends with them and "a friend is more likely to tell you what is wrong than an acquaintance." I loved that! One sister shared that she was horribly sick and felt like that experience that day was one of the worst on her mission. Non-coincidentally the sister she had gone on the exchange with was in the room and said "Can I tell my side of it? She never stopped and I so admire her for that, that was one of the best learning experiences for me."

We concluded that oftentimes the most powerful influence we can have is the one we don't realize.

Then Sister Horman the scriptorian (hehe that rhymes:) masterfully taught about a scene from Luke 24. The road to Emmaus. The story takes place on a dusty road in a desert land. Two disciples of Jesus Christ are trudging along downtrodden, confused, sad, and uncertain about what the future holds. They miss someone they love, they don't understand why this difficult thing happened to them- the death of their beloved master and teacher Jesus Christ. Suddenly someone, a "stranger", meets them. He asks them what is wrong, why they are sad, and then he walks threescore furlongs which is the equivalent of seven and a half miles, And he listens. From verse 18-24 they essentially rant to him all of their grief and what is going on. And Christ, He listens... and He walks, and then after they finish, He teaches. He continues to talk and teach them until they arrive at their destination and they ask Him to stay and eat with them and spend the night. He does tarry and share a meal with them and as He does so their eyes are open, they behold Him and then He leaves. He leaves them alone to ponder how their hearts "burned within them" as He taught them. As mission leaders that's what we try to do as we go and spend time with other missionaries. We come to them and walk with them, listen to them and then teach. We spend a day with them, share a meal and spend the night. Then we leave, and hopefully as we do so they are able to behold Christ, learn a little more about Him, come a little closer to Him and have their hearts be changed.

I was able to share an experience of one of the greatest power-ups I had ever been on. A sister was struggling, in a really dark place. She was fighting some serious battles. And I... well... I was nervous to go work with her because I didn't think that I had what it took to help her. Looking back I was was being selfish... more concerned about myself than her... however we had some really great experiences and conversations throughout the day, we walked some distance  together. Then later that night we found ourselves locked out of the house because the other sisters had the keys... In that hour of us sitting outside of their house talking she opened up to me, and I was able to listen, and listen and then share what I promise y'all were not my words. A specific talk came to mind that talked about prayer, and "creating your day" I shared that with her and something changed, something kind of clicked. We talked about enhancing our prayers and helping each other to both work on it. A few days later we called her and her companion on the phone and I could barely recognize the voice on the other side. I'm in no way trying to say that I was the reason why that happened. All I know is that when we put in an honest effort with a trust in God and a love of all men... well... it can help change a person's life.

So let's dust off those sickles and follow our Savior down the Road to Emmaus and wherever else He leads us. Serving and helping people all along the way.

That's what we are here to do anyway right?

Help each other home.

I love y'all and am grateful for the many ways that you love and sustain and support me. I wish you the happiest of weeks and hope you walk the distance!

Love,
Hermana Hall


No comments:

Post a Comment