Monday, May 14, 2018

I Found My Shari (s)

Shari has always been a part of my life. She was there throughout my mom's pregnancy, at the hospital when I was born, took pictures of me as a toddler, lovingly told me not to pound on her coffee table when I was little, went on walks, zoo days, pool days, made dandelion wishes, had sleepovers, played with stuffed animals, sang me songs, played piano concerts, came running when I would call her, marched with me around the house with a baton, watched movies, came on shopping sprees, built forts, told me thunder were clouds giving fist bumps, played games, went to the park, came to my hula performances, soccer games, and graduations, took videos, and shared oh so many laughs.

The list could go on and on.

Because she so often was around I heard many stories from her and would try to visualize the many memories, laughs, and inside jokes she had with my mom. My absolute favorite were their experiences from their missions... that's how they met. They both served their missions in Los Angeles California Spanish speaking. They served majority in the visitors center and missionary housing was on temple grounds. They knew each other before they were companions and stayed close after. Heavenly Father allowed their paths to cross knowing they would be a blessing to each other and each other's families.

 As I listened to them talk and laugh about Eva and toilet paper, Coochie-coo guard dogs, Cupino in the Camino (to name a few), I would think to myself... I want to serve a mission. I want memories and experiences like they have, I want to find a Shari... a best friend that Heavenly Father gives you. That was what first piqued my interest towards serving a mission. As I grew up I recognized that the restored truths of the gospel that we have are life-changing and as I witnessed living the gospel bless me with happiness and hope I wanted others to have those blessings as well.

So here I am!

Throughout my journeyings as a missionary I have closely watched for Shari's as I have met and served with 9 different and unique companions. Each has left a mark on my life and their examples and testimonies have uplifted and strengthened me and helped me become who I am today. Often I find myself making a certain face or saying a certain phrase and then attributing it to one of them. I share their stories and experiences with investigators, members, my family and other missionaries...
Their influence continues because they have influenced me.

I want to share how they have each been Shari's in my life in their own individual ways.

So "let's hear it for the girls"

Hermana Olsen: The original. First whirlwind of a day in Mexico November 22, 2017. We walked into a building in the CCM and among other things received, a paper saying who our assigned companion was. After going to our house and dropping off our bags I still didn't know where my companion was, they said sometimes that happens but I would most likely find her after the devotional. Thankfully they were right, after a meeting I took my dear in the headlights self back to our house and there she sat in our room. From that day on there were many laughs, tears, good times, and hard times. But she always expressed confidence in me, and laughed at my jokes and stories. I think she might know every disney song known to man, we remembered daily to "Let It Go" (Idina Menzel) and she lives right off of the 18th hole at Glen Eagle golf course and so who knows how many times I have passed her house without realizing. So crazy. So many memories.

Hermana Muñoz: Awh, I'll never forget the day our little CCM companionship duo turned into a trio. She is a champ, she really pushed me to be better and reminded me to appreciate the blessings and goodness around me. She has an amazing perspective and an incredible conversion story. I remember when I met her on the first day thinking that I would probably have been her friend outside of the mission if we had gone to school together. I'll always think of her when I see mango nectar, bueno bars, and hear "I Need Thee Every Hour."

Hermana Yauney: Yauney!!!! I'll never forget the both lessons she taught me and those we learned together. We had the best and craziest of times together whitewashing into Rockwood. That first day in the field when we missed the exit on our way to the area she told me that I could only: "start from where I'm at..." that carried me through my mission. She was a trooper through my adjusting to missionary life when I had a whole heap of self doubt. She taught me how to effectively study and how to teach Southerners. I learned from her that this work  "It's Not About You" (Davis Handley:) We had so many adventures hiking in the woods, pulling blackberry bushes, face masks, frozen grapes, peppermint oil, and punching bags, to name a few;) so glad so many of those memories are caught on film and pictures.

Hermana Jacobson: I thought I was pretty organized and thoughtful until I met Jacobson. She taught me so much about how to be a disciple of Jesus Christ, not just for 18 months but forever. She led by example, always had a plan, loved without holding back, and has such a deep love for the gospel and the cleansing effect of repentance. Together we learned what success really is and that adding light to people's days and lives is the essence of missionary work and discipleship. I loved the way she loved her family and the stories that she shared about them. I won't forget when our sewer exploded, when she lost a tooth, and when she pulled a tick off of me... comp unity at it's finest. Sweet "Go Down Moses" (Lower Lights) I love that girl.

Sister Allen: She came into my life and mission during a critical point where I needed to look outside of myself and be more concerned for my companion. I have many times referenced that transfer day when President Griffin announced we would be companions and whitewash together into Poplar Creek. I cannot deny the goodness of Heavenly Father and the reality of tender mercies. Being by her side as she learned southern, experienced humidity, fell in love with the Bible, and grew in confidence truly was an absolute highlight of my mission. Dancing in the kitchen, tracting in the pouring rain, laughing our guts out at least 3 times a day, were some of the biggest peaches. Pleading and fasting for people to teach, tracting Louisiana Ave in the blazing sun, food poisoning from hotdogs, and almost falling through an investigators door were some rough times but would have been a whole lot worse with anyone other than my girl Al. The fact that Heavenly Father allowed us to grow up through Junior High and High School together and then cross paths and be companions in the Tennessee Knoxville Mission is unreal. This past week I was privileged to go on powerups with her and see in person the growth and depth she has developed. She taught and better converted me during that day together. I'll always "Look Up" (Taylor Olson) when I'm around her, not just because of our height difference but really because of the memories laughs we have shared. She is a true Shari to me.

Hermana See: Wow, I felt like I was being trained all over again with this girl! She taught me so much about the Spirit, persistance, and that it was perfectly ok to eat broccoli for breakfast. We learned a lot about God's will for us in mission lives and personal lives. It was unreal the way we were so in sync in so many things, when people say "we can finish each other's sentences..." yeah we could say each other's entire sentence before the other one even opened their mouth. Giving trainings, helping other missionaries, and learning to love Greeneville were times I treasure. Her strength and determination to never stop sharing the gospel inspires me, it was a sad day sending her home to Portland but knowing that "Things Are Gonna Get Better" (David Archuleta) made it ok. 

Sister Beare: Sister Beare came with a wealth of knowledge about working  not only harder but smarter. We really cleaned house when she got there, she surprised me with her spitfire attitude and business woman aspirations. She always had so much confidence in me even and especially when I lacked it, specifically with Spanish. I still find an occasional stickie note that she hid all over and in my study books and journals. I really am grateful for the lessons I learned when we were working to be like "The Harvester" (don't remember who sings it) in the field.

Hermana McCune: Ohhhhkay she came into my life like a bright ray of sunshine, literally!!!! She helped me up my Spanish game, be more empathetic, and taught by example how to fearlessly be yourself. Boldness was not a problem for her, neither was making friends, I'm pretty sure that girl will as they say in the South "Never Know a Stranger." She was a trooper with all of my u-turns both in the car and out. Remembering how we got soaked in a monsoon, committed to Jillian Michael's one week shred, and jammed to "John's Song" (Nashville Tribute Band) will always bring a smile to my face. I love how much she loved her family and what an example she is to her younger siblings, I loved how prayer is her go to, and that she stepped up to the plate to be a leader and an example to all around her. 

Sister Horman: I feel beyond blessed to have my last companion be Sister Horman. I went on powerups with her when she was serving in Kingsport when I was in Greeneville. I remember being so tickled (wow that was such a TN thing to say) by her humor and saying "I wish we could be companions" 4 transfers later... wish granted!!!! Her depth of character and knowledge of the gospel and life in general inspires me every single day. We laugh hard every single day and have so much to be grateful for every single day. She is my hero for the work that she has done and the experiences she has been through. We have learned to "Lay it All Down" and laugh things off. Agency and improvement have been themes of our time together. And goodness gracious I am so excited to see her when she is a mom, she is going to be so much fun and teach her kids oh so much!

I'm so grateful to have met not just one Shari but many. These companions have blessed and changed me and helped me learn and grow. I'm so grateful for the many women and Sharis I have in my life: friends, village mothers, leaders, teachers, companions, aunts, grandmas, cousins...

And I'm oh so very grateful for my mom, and for the original Shari. She has written me faithfully throughout my mission, making copies of pages of her mission scrapbook and writing letters on the back. I love her and am forever grateful for the happy example and influence she has been in my life and my family's life.

I love her! And Love y'all!!!!

Happy Mother's Day again!!!!

Love,
Hermana Hall


Shari's Letters




























Tennessee Strong



Look close, "Do You Follow Jesus This Close?"




No comments:

Post a Comment