Monday, January 23, 2017

The Peach and the Pit

A few years ago my family adopted a daily tradition where when possible we sit around the dinner table and share our "peach and pit" from the day. The peach being a positive, happy, favorite part of the day. The pit being a negative, sad, or otherwise not so fun part of the day. I have shared this tradition with my companions in the MTC and out here in the field, I joke that serving a mission is such a roller coaster of positives and negatives, highs and lows, and good and bads, that it seems that there is a peach and a pit of every hour. However I would like to share with y'all my peach and pit of this week.

THE PEACH:
There were many peaches this week but the one that stands out to me the most was when we tracked down a referral my companera received from the Bishop from her last area. All we had was an address and a confirmation that he would be around at the time we told him we'd drop by. After driving around and making a few U-turns we ended up pulling into a very humble "trailer court." Originally we were told he was living in #22, but that one was very clearly abandoned, we got back in the car and drove away thinking that maybe we had come to the wrong place but after calling him we found out he was living in #13 just at the top of the hill... We turned around and went to that one and he walked out and we had a really good discussion getting to know him and asking about how religion has played a part in his life. He has been through some really tough things in his years of living, a couple events almost cost him his life, yet he has come to recognize that maybe that is God's way of telling him he has a work to do and a path to follow and he is interested in seeing if the gospel of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is his path. I see so much potential in this man and his family as well. It was a peachy moment to meet someone that I truly feel Heavenly Father has been preparing. I don't know what future lessons with him will be like yet I feel extremely hopeful. I can picture this guy in white and want to help him get there.
THE PIT:
Hermana Yauney told me that there are two times when you dread getting a phone call from your parents... 1: when you are already late for curfew and 2: when you are on a mission. I received a phone call from my mom this week notifying me of the unexpected passing of a dear family friend and neighbor. To say the news was devastating is an understatement. I was/am heartbroken on behalf of the family and the situation. It is hard to be far away and dealing with grief, however I am not alone, because Jesus Christ understands my heartache, and He can help me through it. I spent a lot of time on my knees on Wednesday, and through His mercy I found strength I wasn't expecting. If I could divide up my emotions I would place them in four categories one is shock, another is numbness, the third is heartache, and the fourth and most surprising is more motivation than ever to keep doing what I'm doing. Because the way I see it is I have a unique chance to share the message of this gospel, the message of hope to those who otherwise have no hope in their lives. I have come to realize that as President Monson says (in one of my new favorite talks "I Will Not Fail Thee Nor Forsake Thee) "sadness and sorrow are universal" there are people every day going through grief, sorrow, sadness, heartbreak, and pain. And unlike me they don't have knowledge of a heavenly plan and a hope for the life to come. And here I am called by a prophet to represent Christ and help them learn of that plan and find hope in their lives. And I have such a desire to help them find that, that peace and hope that has so blessed my life. I want them to know that "it is not possible for you to sink lower than the infinite light of Christ's Atonement shines" (Jeffrey R. Holland) I know that and I want everyone to know that too. Overall I am just so grateful for the Plan of Salvation, the Atonement, and waterproof mascara.

I have also come to realize that in every peach there is a pit, however when a pit is planted it eventually grows into a tree which will grow more peaches. And that is a beautiful thought. I know that there is opposition in all things (2 Nephi 2:11) and that all things work together for good (Romans 8:28)
I hope you all look for the peaches and seek to plant the pits.
Have a peachy week y'all
Remember how much I love and pray for you!
Love,
Hermana Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment