Wednesday, January 11, 2017

You Would Not Be Learning This If You Were Not On Your Mission

This was a spiritual impression I got as I had personal study this morning. As I sat reading the Book of Mormon and Matthew in the Bible (with the institute manuals, SUCH A GOOD METHOD thank you to my trainer Hermana Yauney for teaching me that along with many many other things, which I'll get to later) I had the impression that all the many things which I am learning and the ways my testimony is growing and the people I have been meeting and talking to and crossing paths with, none of that would have happened, I would not be who I am and who I'm becoming without this mission. Which is kind of an obvious, no duh, kind of thing but it really struck me hard. I will never be the same after this experience... I will be so much better, I already am, and that is such a cool and powerful realization. But what else is cool is that it can happen to anyone, anyone and everyone can be a missionary, anyone and everyone can be a convert, because the gospel is for everyone and once we have it it is our duty and should be our motivation to share it. By the little things though, you don't have to stand outside someone's door hoping to enter into their home and share a message, although that has been an eyeopening and awesome experience, it is the little things, that make a difference. Truly a smile, kind word, listening ear, can change lives and open a different kind of door, one that opens into the lives and hearts of those around us. I am a firm beliver that by small and simple means great things are brought to pass.
So that being said let me tell you about the small and simple aspects of my mission that is already making it a great mission. Be prepared because there are many:

President: I have heard it said that "you aren't called to a mission you are called to a mission president" I'll admit I was a little skeptcial of that but never should have been, I LOVE PRESIDENT GRIFFIN my goodness he is an inspired man and because of that I know that he knows me, even though we met each other less than a week ago. Our first interview I felt a spiritual connection with him, especially when he said "I don't know why I am telling you this but you need to be patient with yourself." Yes so true, yes so me, yes so inspired, yes God is so good. I feel that I know that Heavenly Father knows me because President Griffin knows me, I really am so blessed.

Knoxville: stepping off the plane here the first thing I saw was a southern bearded man decked out in University of Tennessee gear, head to toe orange, GOOOO VOLS!!!! Then I looked to my direct right and saw rocking chairs by the windows... in the gate of the airport... it was then that I felt like I will very easily be able to fall in love with this place, and it's people. And day by day that is coming true, I love it here, it is without a doubt FOREIGN, I am definitely feeling culture shock all over again. But with that I am feeling culture love, each day is a new adventure, all centered around the gospel, it's pretty amazing actually.

Companion: Hermana Yauney, wow I lucked out BIG time, she is a woman ready to work, ready to teach, and ready to be bold. Elder Holland once counseled that because this is an "astonishing work" we need to go be astonishing, I am learning what that means because of her. She has an awesome testimony, knows the mission rules and keeps them, and has a great perspective on life. We get along really well which is such a relief. We have also had many laughs which is so so needed!!!

Ward: The ward is nothing like I expected, I had heard it was small (which it is) I have heard the primary kids are a little rowdy (which they are) I had heard that it is made up of all walks of life (oh my my yes that is true) However no one mentioned how powerful their testimonies are, there is a scripture in 1 Nephi 14 that in talking about the Church of God says something along the lines of: "their numbers are few... and their dominions upon the face of the earth are small... but they are armed with righteousness and with the power of God in great glory" we only had sacrament meeting yesterday because it is true when Tennessee gets snow the whole place shuts down!!!! So not many people went out of the house, but we did, so our one hour church meeting became a testimony meeting and nearly everyone in the audience got up. A couple of my favorite things that were said was:
-Gratitude changes attitude
-The gospel is telling the truth
-Jesus loves me, Jesus loves you, this Church is true (apparently all the primary kids recite that while pointing at themselves, then at the audience, and then up toward the sky, so dang cute!!!)
-Mercy far outweighs justice
-The offended always wants justice, but the offender always wants mercy
I love the Rockwood West Ward!!! Such good people, I am so excited to serve with and around them

Area: Ok so I should mention, my companera and I are whitewashing, which brings it's own set of challenges, neither of us know the area, the people, the investigators, anything, so each day truly is an adventure. And there is a severe lack of Spanish around, I mean granted it is Tennessee but this area especially there is a lack of latinos, so the only time I am speaking Spanish is when I pray and when we have companionship and language studies. It is likely that most of my mission will be mostly in English but I have faith that as I continue to wear my Hermana tag with pride and always strive to be ready, worthy, and willing for that day when I meet a Spanish speaker that I can convey my testimony and the doctrine of Christ clearly and simply so they can understand.

Food: The first meal I had at a members house was enchiladas, I was like seriously I just came from Mexico... but esta bien. Other than that we have stocked up food at the Walmart nearby (thank goodness for that!) It is in interesting experience budgeting, buying, and cooking for yourself. I'm growing up quickly, it's good though I'm enjoying it. Yesterday for dinner we went to a members house (we have a dinner rule where you can only eat at a members house if a less active or investigator is present, which is really good because it makes it worthwhile) anyway we were eating with one of our investigators and a member family and it consisted of: butternut squash, brussel sprouts, cornedbeef and cabbage, potatoes, green beans and pork. All in all it was a slimey meal but not too bad, and it was hot which was nice because it is so freezing here!!!! It's a different kind of cold that goes straight through your clothes and makes you feel like you're not wearing anything

Funny: oh my so many things from: massive dogs, shirtless hairy men, conspiracy theory women, an old man who loves to talk about the war and German women, cockroaches, drug dealing neighbors, faulty GPS, and I'm sure many many more to come that I will for sure keep track of and keep y'all posted on

House: So we moved into an Elders home, and yes just imagine the grunge
and grime that would be there, then multiply that by Tennessee. We definitely have a lot of work to do today but it's ok cleaning is a stress reliever for me, and I love cleaning and organizing so I look forward to making our house our home.

I'm really sorry for the length of this email hopefully you get a basic understanding of how life is going with plenty more details to come for sure. i am doing great, staying warm, and learning to love the Lord, the people, and myself more each day. Hope you all are doing the same back home!
Sending much love from KnOXOXOXO!
Jesus loves me.
Jesus loves you.
This church is true.
Love,
Hermana Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment